Caster's fate delayed | SASCOC - SASCOC

Caster’s fate delayed

Our world 800 metre track champion, Caster Semenya, must wait still longer for a decision on her athletics future.

This after the IAAF announcement that medical testing is still not complete.

Until now it was expected that the Berlin gold medallist was expected to learn her fate Friday at a high-level IAAF meeting in Monaco.

But now the IAAF said that talks were still ongoing. An IAAF statement says: “The IAAF, the South African Ministry of Sport and Recreation and Caster Semenya’s representatives have been and still are in discussions with a view to resolving the issues surrounding Semenya’s participation in athletics.

“The IAAF will not comment upon the medical aspects of Caster Semenya’s case. The medical testing of the athlete is still to be completed. There will be no discussion of Caster Semenya’s case at the forthcoming IAAF Council Meeting to be held in Monaco on November 20-21.”

The IAAF has numerous options open to them – they could ban her from competing again, or require that she undergo surgery, or take no action.

Previously leaked test results had said Semenya was a hermaphrodite, sparking anger from the South African public and government, who have rallied behind the athlete. Athletics South Africa (ASA) was suspended by SASCOC,┬á the country’s national Olympic governing body earlier this month over its handling of the Semenya row.

The decision came after ASA boss Leonard Chuene was suspended pending an investigation after admitting he knew about the gender test conducted on the athlete prior to the world championships.