- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
SA finish runners-up in Malaysia
- Updated: November 16, 2009
Team South Africa placed second overall on the medals table at the recent Commonwealth Junior and Senior weightlifting championships in Penang, Malaysia.
The team won three gold and two silver for a total of five medals. India were the top country in a competition attended by 24 countries with over 170 lifters taking part.
Gold medals went to Jan Greeff in the 94kg division where he won in both the junior and senior division. He returned a total of 296kg, a snatch of 133kg and a clean and jerk of 163kg.
Despite having only recently got over a shoulder injury, Babalwa Ndleleni took the other gold medal, in the 75kg division with a snatch of 83kg and a clean and jerk of 112kg for a total of 195kg. It wasn’t her best but still good enough for the gold medal.
The Championships started with the women’s 48kg competition, eight lifters in total. Portia Vries had very tough competition but still managed to take a silver medal with a snatch of 66kg and a clean & jerk of 92kg, giving her a total of 158kg.┬á This was a new South African record in the clean and jerk.
Then in the 58kg division, Mona Pretorius placed second overall to take silver, losing out on gold by body weight.
Also at the championships it was announced that South Africa has been awarded the opportunity to host the Commonwealth Youth, junior and senior champs for 2011, with Cape Town being the venue.
Hubert and Hester Montgomery were awarded Honorary Life membership of the Commonwealth and this award will be presented to them at the Commonwealth Electoral Congress in Delhi in 2010.