- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
No Giro in 2010
- Updated: November 10, 2009
There will be no Giro del Capo in 2010. This announcement was made by David Bellairs, Co-Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, organisers of this prestigious stage race, days after it was announced that the International Giro del Capo will not take place in 2010.
“It is a sad day for SA cycling and it is a sad day for me. I pursued all available avenues in the hope of securing a sponsor, but to no avail. We’re in the midst of an economic┬árecession and with the 2010 FIFA World Cup around the corner, cycling sponsorships simply┬áaren’t a priority,” said a despondent Bellairs.
For the past 17 years the Giro del Capo provided most local cyclists with their only opportunity to compete against top international cyclists.
“The Giro in its current form will not take place in 2010 as a result of the large financial burden now being imposed on organisers by the UCI of Category 2.2 tours,” said Bellairs.
Bellairs is confident that this will not be the last of the Giro del Capo: “Watch this space. The Giro will be back on the international cycling calender in 2011.”