- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
No Giro in 2010
- Updated: November 10, 2009
There will be no Giro del Capo in 2010. This announcement was made by David Bellairs, Co-Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, organisers of this prestigious stage race, days after it was announced that the International Giro del Capo will not take place in 2010.
“It is a sad day for SA cycling and it is a sad day for me. I pursued all available avenues in the hope of securing a sponsor, but to no avail. We’re in the midst of an economic┬árecession and with the 2010 FIFA World Cup around the corner, cycling sponsorships simply┬áaren’t a priority,” said a despondent Bellairs.
For the past 17 years the Giro del Capo provided most local cyclists with their only opportunity to compete against top international cyclists.
“The Giro in its current form will not take place in 2010 as a result of the large financial burden now being imposed on organisers by the UCI of Category 2.2 tours,” said Bellairs.
Bellairs is confident that this will not be the last of the Giro del Capo: “Watch this space. The Giro will be back on the international cycling calender in 2011.”