- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
No Giro in 2010
- Updated: November 10, 2009
There will be no Giro del Capo in 2010. This announcement was made by David Bellairs, Co-Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, organisers of this prestigious stage race, days after it was announced that the International Giro del Capo will not take place in 2010.
“It is a sad day for SA cycling and it is a sad day for me. I pursued all available avenues in the hope of securing a sponsor, but to no avail. We’re in the midst of an economic┬árecession and with the 2010 FIFA World Cup around the corner, cycling sponsorships simply┬áaren’t a priority,” said a despondent Bellairs.
For the past 17 years the Giro del Capo provided most local cyclists with their only opportunity to compete against top international cyclists.
“The Giro in its current form will not take place in 2010 as a result of the large financial burden now being imposed on organisers by the UCI of Category 2.2 tours,” said Bellairs.
Bellairs is confident that this will not be the last of the Giro del Capo: “Watch this space. The Giro will be back on the international cycling calender in 2011.”