- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Another win for Stander
- Updated: November 3, 2009
World Mountain Bike Cross-country champion Burry Stander continued on his winning ways in Bloemfontein at the weekend.
Crowned champion in Australia a few months back, Stander was back at it in the OFM Classic.
“It was a hectic last week and we got to Bloemfontein on Friday just in time to register for the following day’s MTB race over 50km.
“The race was fairly quick with an average speed of around 31km/h. The route was great for a starting MTB race and I think the field had a blast. Arno du Toit and I rode away from the field early on and the youngster was riding awesomely. He currenly rides for my development Mr Price team which from 2010 will be on board Specialized Bikes as well.
“Luckily over the last few kilometres he took some strain and gave me a chance to take the win.”
On Sunday it was more action for the KwaZulu-Natal based star.
“We were up early┬á for the 6.15am start. After an early break went away and got 3min before Team Medscheme went to the front to close it down. We caught the leaders with 20km to go and as we did I moved up to the front to avoid the guttering that would soon be dealt. A group of around 10 broke free and we managed to stay clear to the finish. I sprinted across the line in seventh place and had a great day on the bike.
Good news for Stander but bad news for his rivals is that he is showing no signs of fatigue after a hectic season.
“I haven’t been training much the last couple of weeks and I’ve been enjoying the races I’m already itching to put in the big work for next year and I havent even taken my break proper yet. I think that’s a good sign…”