- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Internationals for SA Cup
- Updated: October 28, 2009
Out leading gymnasts are putting together their final preparations for next week’s SA Cup International at the SAGF Gymnastics Academy in Eldoraigne, Centurion.
The annual SA Cup makes a come back after a 10-year absence and promises to be an exciting event where South Africa will host artistic gymnasts from Romania, Malaysia, Great Britain, New Zealand and Namibia.
The South African team includes junior and senior athletes.
The teams will be headed up by Jennifer Khwela, Chantel Swan, Lindo Ngcongo and Christo Malan. Malan, Khwela and Swan recently competed at the 41st Artistic Gymnastic World Championships which were held in October in London.
When asked of the importance of the SA Cup, Ilse Laing, High Performance Director of Women’s Artistic Gymnastics Ilse Laing said, ÔÇ£We intend to use this opportunity as preparations for the Zone VI, the Africa Championships as well as the Commonwealth Games next year.ÔÇØ
The SA Cup is no mean event and some of the world’s greatest gymnasts including World and Olympic champions Takashi Mitsukuri (JPN), Takashi Ono (JPN), Eberhard Gienger (GER), Valeri Belenki (RUS), Ivan Ivankov (BLR) and Szilveszter Csollany (HUN) have previously competed in the competition.
The South African team members are:
Men’s Artistic Gymnastics
Junior Team: Stuart Moores, Ricky Dobson, Tiaan Grobler and Siphesihle Biyase
Senior Team: Lindo Ngcongo, Christo Malan, Bonolo Masilela and Michael Makings
Women’s Artistic Gymnastics
A team: Jennifer Khwela, Chantel Swan, Ashleigh Heldsinger, Chanel Parsons and Nicole Szabo
B team: Claudia Cummins, Kirsten Beckett, Lusanne Seyffert, Makeeda Phekani and Nicola Cupido
The SA Cup competition will take place at the Matsport Centre, Eldoraigne, Centurion over two days on November 6-7, 2009.
Competition times are 5-8.30pm on Friday and 3-8pm on Saturday. Pre-sale tickets cost R30 and tickets at the door cost R40. For tickets, contact Lianza on 082 927 9135 or 011 663 9176 or www.sagf.co.za