- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Mofokeng breezes in
- Updated: September 28, 2009
Race sponsors Nedbank provided both winners of Sunday’s Cape Town Marathon, held in cold, blustery conditions.
Overall winner was George Mofokeng in 2hr 14min 20sec with Zimbabwean Sharon Tavenga the first woman home in 2:47:08.
Mofokeng’s time was just 30sec outside his personal best for the 42.2 kilometre distance and a fine time for the 30-year-old Pretoria based athlete, given the conditions.
His personal best came at the national marathon championships in 2007.
Runner-up on Sunday was defending champion Motlokoa Nkhabutlane of Lesotho, 31sec adrift. Zimbabwe’s Mike Fokoroni was third in 2:15:12.
The women’s finish was a close one with another Nedbank athlete, Tshihiwa Mundalamo second in 2:47:24 and Capetonian Bulelwa Mtshagi in 2:47:38.