- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
Brand and Carla the ones to beat
- Updated: September 4, 2009
The penultimate in the eight-leg Momentum Health Teavigo Duathlon Series hits Midmar on Sunday 6 September with series leader Brand Du Plessis and off-road exponent Carla Germishuys the ÔÇ£bookiesÔÇØ favourites to win.
Du Plessis has been in a class of his own in the series and has won six out of six races, many of them going away from his competitors and with his preparations for the World Championships in the USA on 26 September in full swing, he should once again carry the day.
His biggest competition should come from Stuart Marais who in the last race had to battle not only a stellar field, but also a bout of flu. Marais did run him close in Port Elizabeth in June.
Carla on the other hand has won every time the race included a mountain bike leg and in the absence of series leader Andrea Steyn who has opted to train for the World Championships instead, Carla should win this one going away.
Racing gets underway at 10am, with a 5km run, 20km mountain bike leg and 2.5km run. A healthy purse of R43,000 is up for grabs.