- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
- Muizenberg hosts SA’s first Adapative Championships
- SA duo seal silver medals at African Championships
- Harris on the rise after two Futures wins
Coetzee crashes out
- Updated: September 3, 2009
Jeff Coetzee, a member of┬á SASCOC’s OPEX squad for the 2012 Olympics in London, has gone out in the first round of the doubles at the US Open in New York.
Coetzee, who was teamed up with Israel’s Jonathan Erlich, went down 3-6 6-3 6-4. They lost to eighth seeds, Bruno Soares of Brazil and Zimbabwean Kevin Ullyet.
There was better news for SA tennis fans as Davis Cup player Rik de Voest and US partner Rajeev Ram beat the 14th seeds, Ashley Fisher and Jordan Kerr 7-6 6-4.
Wesley Moodie, South Africa’s top doubles player, and also a member of the OPEX squad, is seeded seventh, along with giant Belgian Dick Norman. They play the French duo of Julien Benneteau and Jeremy Chardy in first round action.