- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Coetzee crashes out
- Updated: September 3, 2009
Jeff Coetzee, a member of┬á SASCOC’s OPEX squad for the 2012 Olympics in London, has gone out in the first round of the doubles at the US Open in New York.
Coetzee, who was teamed up with Israel’s Jonathan Erlich, went down 3-6 6-3 6-4. They lost to eighth seeds, Bruno Soares of Brazil and Zimbabwean Kevin Ullyet.
There was better news for SA tennis fans as Davis Cup player Rik de Voest and US partner Rajeev Ram beat the 14th seeds, Ashley Fisher and Jordan Kerr 7-6 6-4.
Wesley Moodie, South Africa’s top doubles player, and also a member of the OPEX squad, is seeded seventh, along with giant Belgian Dick Norman. They play the French duo of Julien Benneteau and Jeremy Chardy in first round action.