- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
Eksteen off to Yokohama
- Updated: August 20, 2009
Triathlete Claude Eksteen is in Yokohama, Japan after his 20th place finish at the London ITU World Championship Series last Saturday.
The South African was happy with his swim and bike disiciplines, but had no strength left in the legs on his run and will make changes to his training program.
ÔÇ£I am not too disappointed as the top 20 is extremely close in this new World Chammpionship Series. There is a lot to take out of it as I was not far off the top guys even with the legs not feeling 100%.ÔÇØ
ÔÇ£The aim is to make sure that I get all the small things right during the race. If I do this and I have looked after the body well from the flight and jet lag it will be good..ÔÇØ
Eksteen and his coach believe that they need to give him more time to recover from training sessions after suffering in the runs in Hamburg and twice in London (first the World Cup then the World Championship Series). Now they believe with a bit of a taper he should be able to handle the run better.
ÔÇ£Every time on the run my legs seemed to feel like lead, so maybe with the change in training it will go better.ÔÇØ
Eksteen is improving with every race and is gunning for a top 10 position at the Grand Final at the Gold Coast on September 13.
Also in the race will be South Africans Anel Stewart and Vicky Van Der Merwe.