- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
Eksteen off to Yokohama
- Updated: August 20, 2009
Triathlete Claude Eksteen is in Yokohama, Japan after his 20th place finish at the London ITU World Championship Series last Saturday.
The South African was happy with his swim and bike disiciplines, but had no strength left in the legs on his run and will make changes to his training program.
ÔÇ£I am not too disappointed as the top 20 is extremely close in this new World Chammpionship Series. There is a lot to take out of it as I was not far off the top guys even with the legs not feeling 100%.ÔÇØ
ÔÇ£The aim is to make sure that I get all the small things right during the race. If I do this and I have looked after the body well from the flight and jet lag it will be good..ÔÇØ
Eksteen and his coach believe that they need to give him more time to recover from training sessions after suffering in the runs in Hamburg and twice in London (first the World Cup then the World Championship Series). Now they believe with a bit of a taper he should be able to handle the run better.
ÔÇ£Every time on the run my legs seemed to feel like lead, so maybe with the change in training it will go better.ÔÇØ
Eksteen is improving with every race and is gunning for a top 10 position at the Grand Final at the Gold Coast on September 13.
Also in the race will be South Africans Anel Stewart and Vicky Van Der Merwe.