- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
President Putter grabs gold
- Updated: August 18, 2009
National wrestling president Willem Putter captured a gold medal at the World Veterans Championships in Turkey at the weekend.
This means that Putter, president of the South African Wrestling Federation has now won a fifth world title in eight years at the championships — held for wrestlers over the age of 35.
The 51-year old Putter has been involved in wrestling for more than four decades as participant, coach and administrator. In 2008 he was elected as President of the SA Wrestling Federation and also serves on the controlling of the sport in Africa and on committees of the International Wrestling Federation (FILA).
The World Veterans Championships take place every year and draws wrestlers from across the world including a number of former Olympic medallists. Putter was the only medal winner from Africa in a tournament dominated by wrestlers from Iran, Turkey and Russia. His road to the gold medal included victories over two opponents from Iran as well as wrestlers from Turkey and Germany.