- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Juniors end Cup with a victory
- Updated: August 17, 2009
South Africa’s junior women’s hockey side have ended 11th out of 12 teams in the BDO Junior Women’s World Cup in Boston, America.
South Africa played Chile for the wooden-spoon position and won 4-0 to avoid last spot.
In the 10th minute of play SA captain, Loreen Irvine opened the scoring. Shortly after that┬á Louise Coertzen drag flicked into the net after a penalty corner.
At the end of the first half Chile had a corner and multiple shots on goal, but they were all blocked by South Africa’s goalie, Hanli Hattingh.
In the second half, Chile was looking to get back into the match and were again awarded several penalty corners. However, South Africa was still playing strongly and Kelly Madsen scored a third goal in the 56th minute. Near the end, Coertzen came up from defence and knocked home SA’s fourth goal to make the final score 4-0.