- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
Water polo women lose
- Updated: July 20, 2009
South Africa opened its 2009 Fina World Championships campaign in the pool with a defeat to New Zealand in the women’s water polo competition in Rome.
The South Africans made a bright start in this premilinary round Group C encounter, finishing the first quarter with a 2-1 advantage, following two goals by S Harris, but then things became a lot more difficult. The New Zealanders struck back to rattle in five unanswered goals in the second quarter for a 6-2 advantage, and then they dominated the third quarter as well to take the score to 9-2. The final quarter was shared 3-3 but by then the horse had bolted and the Kiwis find themselves on top of the group standings.
The next two matches now become must-win situations for South Africa, though it won’t get much easier. Australia are next in the water as opponents on Tuesday, while Canada (no soft touch, considering they drew 6-6 with the Aussies in their opening match) loom on Thursday.