- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Water polo women lose
- Updated: July 20, 2009
South Africa opened its 2009 Fina World Championships campaign in the pool with a defeat to New Zealand in the women’s water polo competition in Rome.
The South Africans made a bright start in this premilinary round Group C encounter, finishing the first quarter with a 2-1 advantage, following two goals by S Harris, but then things became a lot more difficult. The New Zealanders struck back to rattle in five unanswered goals in the second quarter for a 6-2 advantage, and then they dominated the third quarter as well to take the score to 9-2. The final quarter was shared 3-3 but by then the horse had bolted and the Kiwis find themselves on top of the group standings.
The next two matches now become must-win situations for South Africa, though it won’t get much easier. Australia are next in the water as opponents on Tuesday, while Canada (no soft touch, considering they drew 6-6 with the Aussies in their opening match) loom on Thursday.