- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Water polo women lose
- Updated: July 20, 2009
South Africa opened its 2009 Fina World Championships campaign in the pool with a defeat to New Zealand in the women’s water polo competition in Rome.
The South Africans made a bright start in this premilinary round Group C encounter, finishing the first quarter with a 2-1 advantage, following two goals by S Harris, but then things became a lot more difficult. The New Zealanders struck back to rattle in five unanswered goals in the second quarter for a 6-2 advantage, and then they dominated the third quarter as well to take the score to 9-2. The final quarter was shared 3-3 but by then the horse had bolted and the Kiwis find themselves on top of the group standings.
The next two matches now become must-win situations for South Africa, though it won’t get much easier. Australia are next in the water as opponents on Tuesday, while Canada (no soft touch, considering they drew 6-6 with the Aussies in their opening match) loom on Thursday.