- Swiss experience helps Beyers take two track titles
- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
Sevens get to know their hosts
- Updated: July 17, 2009
By Mark Etheridge
The South African Sevens rugby team are getting to know the host team rather well at the 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
The South Africans played Chinese Taipei on Friday and will play them again tomorrow.
No-score matches they may be but they’re all part of the build-up to next week’s action where Sevens takes centre stage on Friday and Saturday.
“It was just a bit of a warm-up but everything went well,” said SA manager Sebastian Prim.
“We’ve never played them before officially but they are still big guys… but then again, most players on the IRB circuit are bigger than us!
After tomorrow’s practice game, the Sevens team play Japan in their final warm-up match.
Who do they play in their opening round-robin fixture? You guessed it: Chinese Tapei!
After that, their two games are against Portugal and the United States.