- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
Eastern delight for Kim, Chase
- Updated: July 15, 2009
By Mark Etheridge
Western Cape athletes Chase Minnaar and Kim Brugman had joint reason to celebrate Wednesday.
They both celebrated their birthdays at the unlikely venue of Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
They’re in Taiwan as part of Team SA who are competing in the World Games, the world’s blue riband event for non-Olympic sports and held every four years after an Olympic year. Brugman turned 24 and Minnaar 23.
But it was nothing out of the ordinary for Brugman who hails from Fish Hoek and will represent her country in the lifesaving events.
“I’m so used to spending my birthday away from home .. in fact I’ve only done that once in about the last five years.
Minnaar, now based with the world champion Sevens Rugby squad in Stellenbosch, went to school at St Andrews in┬á Grahamstown after spending much of his life on a farm near Graaff Reinet.