- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
Eastern delight for Kim, Chase
- Updated: July 15, 2009
By Mark Etheridge
Western Cape athletes Chase Minnaar and Kim Brugman had joint reason to celebrate Wednesday.
They both celebrated their birthdays at the unlikely venue of Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
They’re in Taiwan as part of Team SA who are competing in the World Games, the world’s blue riband event for non-Olympic sports and held every four years after an Olympic year. Brugman turned 24 and Minnaar 23.
But it was nothing out of the ordinary for Brugman who hails from Fish Hoek and will represent her country in the lifesaving events.
“I’m so used to spending my birthday away from home .. in fact I’ve only done that once in about the last five years.
Minnaar, now based with the world champion Sevens Rugby squad in Stellenbosch, went to school at St Andrews in┬á Grahamstown after spending much of his life on a farm near Graaff Reinet.