- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
More medals for students
- Updated: July 11, 2009
Leading SA sprinters Isabel le Roux and Thuso Mpuang, took their team’s medal tally at the 2009 World Student Games in Belgrade on Friday to five.
Both are the current African 200m champions from Addis Ababa a year ago. Le Roux won the silver medal with a time of 23.18 sec. while Mpuang pocketed the bronze after a clocking of 20.69 sec.
After the fourth day the SA team can boast with two gold and bronze medals each and the silver of Le Roux. The five medals is a record for most medals by any SA team since 1993.
The men’s 200m produced a major surprise when a 19-year-old sprinter from Azerbaijan, Ramil Guliyev, won out of the blue in fast 20.04 sec. He is certainly someone to be watched in future.
Apart from the medals the SA athletes performed with reasonable credit. Cornel Fredericks finished fourth in the 400m hurdles and recorded a personal best of 49.93 sec..his first time below 50 sec. High jumper Rene van der Merwe also did very well by qualifying for the final with a career best jump of 1.85m.
In the 110m hurdles heats Lehann Fourie (22) recorded 13.78 sec for the second fastest time of the day. He is a student in the United States where he set a personal best of 13.68 sec in May.
Angela Wagner, another SA student in America, did not seem in shape and struggled to the finish in 12th place. Her time was 10 min 25.16 sec.
In other qualifying action Warren Hendricks (1:51.78 sec over 800m) and Donovan Snyman (47.96m, discus) were eliminated. In the women’s 200m Carina Horn was left behind after a good showing and a time of 24.05 sec.