- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
Leeuw, Geringer grab gold
- Updated: July 3, 2009
Our young wrestlers returned from the recent African Junior and Cadet Championships with 12 medals in their baggage.
The Championships were held in the coastal city of Tipaza in Algeria and while the Under-20s and juniors are back the cadets have their turn for medal glory this weekend.
The two golden girls are the Northern Cape’s Brumilda Leeuw and Zumicke Geringer from Gauteng North.
The Greco-Roman team won four silver medals and a bronze and the freestyle team took two silver and three bronze medals.
Silver medallists in the Greco-Roman division were Hayden Abrahams (WP, 96-120kg), Gerhar Botha (Boland, 84-96kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Nhlaganipho Shongwe (Gauteng North, 66-74kg). Bronze went to Gauteng North’s Zhaun Broodryk (55-60kg).
Freestyle silver medallists were: Robbie White (Gauteng East, 50kg) and Hayden Abrahams (96-120kg) and the three bronzes went to Jaco van Staden (GN, 60-66kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Gerhard Botha (Boland, 84-96kg).