- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
Leeuw, Geringer grab gold
- Updated: July 3, 2009
Our young wrestlers returned from the recent African Junior and Cadet Championships with 12 medals in their baggage.
The Championships were held in the coastal city of Tipaza in Algeria and while the Under-20s and juniors are back the cadets have their turn for medal glory this weekend.
The two golden girls are the Northern Cape’s Brumilda Leeuw and Zumicke Geringer from Gauteng North.
The Greco-Roman team won four silver medals and a bronze and the freestyle team took two silver and three bronze medals.
Silver medallists in the Greco-Roman division were Hayden Abrahams (WP, 96-120kg), Gerhar Botha (Boland, 84-96kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Nhlaganipho Shongwe (Gauteng North, 66-74kg). Bronze went to Gauteng North’s Zhaun Broodryk (55-60kg).
Freestyle silver medallists were: Robbie White (Gauteng East, 50kg) and Hayden Abrahams (96-120kg) and the three bronzes went to Jaco van Staden (GN, 60-66kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Gerhard Botha (Boland, 84-96kg).