- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Leeuw, Geringer grab gold
- Updated: July 3, 2009
Our young wrestlers returned from the recent African Junior and Cadet Championships with 12 medals in their baggage.
The Championships were held in the coastal city of Tipaza in Algeria and while the Under-20s and juniors are back the cadets have their turn for medal glory this weekend.
The two golden girls are the Northern Cape’s Brumilda Leeuw and Zumicke Geringer from Gauteng North.
The Greco-Roman team won four silver medals and a bronze and the freestyle team took two silver and three bronze medals.
Silver medallists in the Greco-Roman division were Hayden Abrahams (WP, 96-120kg), Gerhar Botha (Boland, 84-96kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Nhlaganipho Shongwe (Gauteng North, 66-74kg). Bronze went to Gauteng North’s Zhaun Broodryk (55-60kg).
Freestyle silver medallists were: Robbie White (Gauteng East, 50kg) and Hayden Abrahams (96-120kg) and the three bronzes went to Jaco van Staden (GN, 60-66kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Gerhard Botha (Boland, 84-96kg).