- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
Leeuw, Geringer grab gold
- Updated: July 3, 2009
Our young wrestlers returned from the recent African Junior and Cadet Championships with 12 medals in their baggage.
The Championships were held in the coastal city of Tipaza in Algeria and while the Under-20s and juniors are back the cadets have their turn for medal glory this weekend.
The two golden girls are the Northern Cape’s Brumilda Leeuw and Zumicke Geringer from Gauteng North.
The Greco-Roman team won four silver medals and a bronze and the freestyle team took two silver and three bronze medals.
Silver medallists in the Greco-Roman division were Hayden Abrahams (WP, 96-120kg), Gerhar Botha (Boland, 84-96kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Nhlaganipho Shongwe (Gauteng North, 66-74kg). Bronze went to Gauteng North’s Zhaun Broodryk (55-60kg).
Freestyle silver medallists were: Robbie White (Gauteng East, 50kg) and Hayden Abrahams (96-120kg) and the three bronzes went to Jaco van Staden (GN, 60-66kg), Richard Ferreira (WP, 74-84kg) and Gerhard Botha (Boland, 84-96kg).