- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
Coetzee through at Wimbledon
- Updated: June 25, 2009
It was a day of mixed fortunes in the doubles at Wimbledon Wednesday with a win and two defeats for South African players.
In the first round of competition, 12th seeds Jeff Coetzee (a member of SASCOC’s OPEX provisional squad for the Olympics in London, 2012), teamed up with Australian Jordan Kerr to beat the Spanish combination of David Ferrer and Marc Lopez 6-1 6-2 7-5.
But for Davis Cup player Kevin Anderson it didn’t go to well. He and partner Somdev Devvarman of India bowed out to the accomplished fourth seed combination of Mahesh Bhuphathi (India) and Mark Knowles (Bahamas) 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 7-5 7-5.
In women’s first round action, Natalie Grandin and Hungarian parter Melinda Czink went down 6-4 6-3 to 12th seeds Anna-Lena Groenefeld (Germany) and Vania King (US)