- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Coetzee through at Wimbledon
- Updated: June 25, 2009
It was a day of mixed fortunes in the doubles at Wimbledon Wednesday with a win and two defeats for South African players.
In the first round of competition, 12th seeds Jeff Coetzee (a member of SASCOC’s OPEX provisional squad for the Olympics in London, 2012), teamed up with Australian Jordan Kerr to beat the Spanish combination of David Ferrer and Marc Lopez 6-1 6-2 7-5.
But for Davis Cup player Kevin Anderson it didn’t go to well. He and partner Somdev Devvarman of India bowed out to the accomplished fourth seed combination of Mahesh Bhuphathi (India) and Mark Knowles (Bahamas) 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 7-5 7-5.
In women’s first round action, Natalie Grandin and Hungarian parter Melinda Czink went down 6-4 6-3 to 12th seeds Anna-Lena Groenefeld (Germany) and Vania King (US)