- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Coetzee through at Wimbledon
- Updated: June 25, 2009
It was a day of mixed fortunes in the doubles at Wimbledon Wednesday with a win and two defeats for South African players.
In the first round of competition, 12th seeds Jeff Coetzee (a member of SASCOC’s OPEX provisional squad for the Olympics in London, 2012), teamed up with Australian Jordan Kerr to beat the Spanish combination of David Ferrer and Marc Lopez 6-1 6-2 7-5.
But for Davis Cup player Kevin Anderson it didn’t go to well. He and partner Somdev Devvarman of India bowed out to the accomplished fourth seed combination of Mahesh Bhuphathi (India) and Mark Knowles (Bahamas) 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 7-5 7-5.
In women’s first round action, Natalie Grandin and Hungarian parter Melinda Czink went down 6-4 6-3 to 12th seeds Anna-Lena Groenefeld (Germany) and Vania King (US)