Excellent performances by our guys. Our country stand behind y0u guys. Good luck for the World Champs!!!
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Gold for Roland, Gerhard
- Updated: June 15, 2009
There was a golden conclusion to the Mare Nostrum series for swimmers Roland Schoeman and Gerhard Zandberg on the final night of the three-day gala held in Monte Carlo, Monaco yesterday.
Competing in the 50 metres butterfly final, Schoeman won in 23.19 secs, while world 50m backstroke champion Zandberg took the honours in that event (25.62).
Cameron van der Burgh also joined in on the medal onslaught as he claimed silver in the 50m breaststroke final in 27.77. Neil Versfeld finished fourth in the 100 metres breaststroke final in 1:02.57.
The Mare Nostrum galas were part of the SA swim team’s preparations ahead of the FINA World Championships to be held in Rome, Italy from July 26-August 2.