- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
Oosthuizen wins in Lugano
- Updated: June 13, 2009
Former world junior javelin champion Robert Oosthuizen opened his European campaign at a meeting in Lugano with victory in 77.44 metres.
At the same meeting fellow South African Warren Hendricks won the 800 metres race in 1min 49.52sec as SA champion, Ruan de Vries, and Hannes Dreyer showed encouraging form in the 110m hurdles and 100 metres respectively.
De Vries finished fourth in a time of 13.84 sec in the high hurdles while Dreyer clocked times of 10.41 (fourth in the final) and 10.49 in his heat.
Tsholofelo Thipe, reigning SA champion and already having qualified for the World Championships in Berlin, opened her account in the 400m with a time of 55.55 sec and a sixth place.
At a meeting in Huelva, Spain, Shaun Bownes (110m hurdles) also had to be content with a fourth place and a time of 13.76 sec.