- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Oosthuizen wins in Lugano
- Updated: June 13, 2009
Former world junior javelin champion Robert Oosthuizen opened his European campaign at a meeting in Lugano with victory in 77.44 metres.
At the same meeting fellow South African Warren Hendricks won the 800 metres race in 1min 49.52sec as SA champion, Ruan de Vries, and Hannes Dreyer showed encouraging form in the 110m hurdles and 100 metres respectively.
De Vries finished fourth in a time of 13.84 sec in the high hurdles while Dreyer clocked times of 10.41 (fourth in the final) and 10.49 in his heat.
Tsholofelo Thipe, reigning SA champion and already having qualified for the World Championships in Berlin, opened her account in the 400m with a time of 55.55 sec and a sixth place.
At a meeting in Huelva, Spain, Shaun Bownes (110m hurdles) also had to be content with a fourth place and a time of 13.76 sec.