- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Madsen makes her mark
- Updated: June 10, 2009
Kelly Madsen is the only new cap in the SPAR national women’s side for next month’s African Cup of Nations hockey tournament in Accra, Ghana.
Apart from the KwaZulu-Natal player, selectors stuck to the team that gave a good account of itself in last week’s Four Nations tournament in Durban.
Madsen replaces Kate Woods (formerly Hector) who was not available for selection.
ÔÇ£Our biggest challenge is going to be to carry on playing the way we did in Durban,ÔÇØ said coach Jenny King.┬áÔÇ£I was happy with the way we played there, and we need to use that as a launch pad going ahead.ÔÇØ
South Africa need to win the tournament to qualify for the Women’s World Cup in Rosario, Argentina in 2010.
ÔÇ£We’re definitely the favourites to win, but the International Hockey Federation has been pumping money into hockey in Africa, so we may have a tougher time this year. Kenya have certainly come a long way, and could provide some good competition,ÔÇØ said King.
The team : Mariette Rix (WP), Hanli Hattingh (WP), Lisa-Marie Deetlefs (SG), Lenise Marais (WP), Cindy Brown (WP), Kim Hubach (Nor), Marsha Marescia (SG), Kelly Madsen (Kzn Coast), Kathleen Taylor (WP), Loreen Irvine (NW), Roxy Turner (SG), Farah Fredericks (WP), Vida Ryan (WP), Shelley Russell (WP), Cindy Botha (Kzn Coast), Vidette Ryan (WP), Jade Mayne (WP), Julia Cass (SG).
Coach: Jenny King,┬á┬á Assistant coach:┬á Lindsey Wright,┬á Manager: Les Galloway
Found this from 2007. Also on the hockey front was Kelly Madsen from St Mary's. Kelly is the daughter of Trevor Madsen, who played cricket for the Dolphins and South Africa and also was a brilliant hockey player. I was amazed at how small and slight Kelly is and it amazing to think that she is often playing against girls two or three years older than her so is obviously quick and a real terrier on the astro-turf.
I was at school with Mike Madsen who played hockey for SA and cricket for Natal. Surely Kelly related to him - daughter?