- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Silver for SA’s Chad
- Updated: June 7, 2009
KwaZulu Natal teenage swim sensation Chad le Clos made his presence felt on┬á┬áthe international senior swimming scene, when he finished second in the 400 metres individual medley final, as the SA team continued to make their┬á┬ápresence felt at the Mare Nostrum gala in Barcelona, Spain on Sunday.
Le Clos, a Grade 11 pupil at Westville Boys High in Durban, clocked 4 min┬á 24.53 secs, while Cameron van der Burgh collected his second medal when he┬á finished third in the 50 metres breaststroke final in 27.92.
William Diering collected a bronze medal in the 200 metres breaststroke┬á final in 2;14.47, while Charl van Zyl ÔÇô a matric pupil at the same school as le Clos ÔÇô finished fourth in the 100 metres backstroke in 55.81.
ÔÇ£The SA swimming team’s preparations are well on the track and the experience and highly competitive level of racing here at the Mare Nostrum galas, will stand the our swimmers in good stead ahead of the FINA World┬áAquatics Championships to be held in Rome, Italy, from July 26 to August 2,ÔÇØ said national swimming team coaching convenor Dean Price, who is with the SA┬á team in Spain.
On Saturday, Van der Burgh (silver in the 100 metres breaststroke in (1:01.01), Gerhard Zandberg (silver in the 50 metres backstroke in 25.67), Wendy Trott (silver in the 800 metres freestyle in 8:32.93) and Roland┬áSchoeman (bronze in the 50 metres butterfly in 23.63), opened the medal┬á tally for the SA team.
The South African swimmers will now turn their attention to the second leg of the Mare Nostrum series to be held in Canet, France from June 9-11.