- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Spong stars in Germany
- Updated: May 20, 2009
South Africa’s Jason Spong won the Powerman Germany duathlon at the weekend.
Spong set the pace in the 16 kilometre run leg ÔÇô two laps of 8km each ÔÇô with a group of German duathletes right on his tail.
The South African came into the first transition with an almost one-minute lead over the field, clocking 53min 29sec, with his nearest rival, Benjamin Rossmann running 54:24.
Spong had a brief scare on the 64km bike leg as Germany’s Zoltan Senczyszyn briefly passed him. Senczyszyn had the fastest bike leg (1:52:00) beating Spong by just under a minute.
But his strong running ÔÇô 27:25 for the 8km run ÔÇô saw Spong take overall victory in 3:15:13. Senczyszyn had a poor run (29:21) to finish third overall after compatriot Rossmann clocked 27:6 for the 8km run to finish second 2:13 behind Spong.
1 Jason Spong (SA) 3:15:13
2 Benjamin Rossmann (Ger) 3:17:16
3 Zoltan Senczyszyn (Ger) 3:17:21
4 Daniel Wienbreier Daniel (Ger) 3:20:08
5┬á Sebastian Retzlaff Sebastian (Ger) 3:20:26