- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Spong stars in Germany
- Updated: May 20, 2009
South Africa’s Jason Spong won the Powerman Germany duathlon at the weekend.
Spong set the pace in the 16 kilometre run leg ÔÇô two laps of 8km each ÔÇô with a group of German duathletes right on his tail.
The South African came into the first transition with an almost one-minute lead over the field, clocking 53min 29sec, with his nearest rival, Benjamin Rossmann running 54:24.
Spong had a brief scare on the 64km bike leg as Germany’s Zoltan Senczyszyn briefly passed him. Senczyszyn had the fastest bike leg (1:52:00) beating Spong by just under a minute.
But his strong running ÔÇô 27:25 for the 8km run ÔÇô saw Spong take overall victory in 3:15:13. Senczyszyn had a poor run (29:21) to finish third overall after compatriot Rossmann clocked 27:6 for the 8km run to finish second 2:13 behind Spong.
1 Jason Spong (SA) 3:15:13
2 Benjamin Rossmann (Ger) 3:17:16
3 Zoltan Senczyszyn (Ger) 3:17:21
4 Daniel Wienbreier Daniel (Ger) 3:20:08
5┬á Sebastian Retzlaff Sebastian (Ger) 3:20:26