- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
Spong stars in Germany
- Updated: May 20, 2009
South Africa’s Jason Spong won the Powerman Germany duathlon at the weekend.
Spong set the pace in the 16 kilometre run leg ÔÇô two laps of 8km each ÔÇô with a group of German duathletes right on his tail.
The South African came into the first transition with an almost one-minute lead over the field, clocking 53min 29sec, with his nearest rival, Benjamin Rossmann running 54:24.
Spong had a brief scare on the 64km bike leg as Germany’s Zoltan Senczyszyn briefly passed him. Senczyszyn had the fastest bike leg (1:52:00) beating Spong by just under a minute.
But his strong running ÔÇô 27:25 for the 8km run ÔÇô saw Spong take overall victory in 3:15:13. Senczyszyn had a poor run (29:21) to finish third overall after compatriot Rossmann clocked 27:6 for the 8km run to finish second 2:13 behind Spong.
1 Jason Spong (SA) 3:15:13
2 Benjamin Rossmann (Ger) 3:17:16
3 Zoltan Senczyszyn (Ger) 3:17:21
4 Daniel Wienbreier Daniel (Ger) 3:20:08
5┬á Sebastian Retzlaff Sebastian (Ger) 3:20:26