- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Spong stars in Germany
- Updated: May 20, 2009
South Africa’s Jason Spong won the Powerman Germany duathlon at the weekend.
Spong set the pace in the 16 kilometre run leg ÔÇô two laps of 8km each ÔÇô with a group of German duathletes right on his tail.
The South African came into the first transition with an almost one-minute lead over the field, clocking 53min 29sec, with his nearest rival, Benjamin Rossmann running 54:24.
Spong had a brief scare on the 64km bike leg as Germany’s Zoltan Senczyszyn briefly passed him. Senczyszyn had the fastest bike leg (1:52:00) beating Spong by just under a minute.
But his strong running ÔÇô 27:25 for the 8km run ÔÇô saw Spong take overall victory in 3:15:13. Senczyszyn had a poor run (29:21) to finish third overall after compatriot Rossmann clocked 27:6 for the 8km run to finish second 2:13 behind Spong.
1 Jason Spong (SA) 3:15:13
2 Benjamin Rossmann (Ger) 3:17:16
3 Zoltan Senczyszyn (Ger) 3:17:21
4 Daniel Wienbreier Daniel (Ger) 3:20:08
5┬á Sebastian Retzlaff Sebastian (Ger) 3:20:26