- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
SA athlete third in US
- Updated: May 18, 2009
South African athlete Peter van der Westhuizen placed third behind world champion Bernard Lagat in a 1,500-metre event at the weekend.
Van der Westhuizen, 24, who formerly represented Gauteng North, clocked 3min 38.29sec (his second best time), as America’s Lagat won in 3:36:38 from Canada’s Nate Brannen (3:37.03) in the Adidas Track Classic in Carson, California.
Formerly from Kempton Park and now studying at Nebraska, his time was comfortably quicker than his 2008 best of 3:42.80 for the distance which he ran in Stanford, California in May last year. Earlier this month though he ran a 3:37.22 in Palo Alto, also California.