- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Top swimmer ties knot
- Updated: May 13, 2009
Ace South African swimmer Ryk Neethling’s former love interest is getting married and expecting her first child.
Olympic champion Amanda Beard told People Magazine that she married her longtime boyfriend, photographer Sacha Brown earlier this month on Wakatobi, an archipelago located in an area of southeastern Indonesia.
‘It was absolutely perfect,’Beard said of the couple’s beach wedding held at sunset. ‘It was stress-free, and super low-key.’ Beard, 27, and Brown, 34, met on a photoshoot and got engaged last Christmas.
Beard, who has seven medals (two gold) to her name, also told the mag she is currently five and a half months pregnant with her first child. The couple are expecting a boy and Beard said the due date is in September. While the pool is her second home, the Newport Beach, California, native said don’t expect a water birth anytime soon.
Said Beard: ‘ want to do it the old-fashioned way – in a hospital, with all the technology!’
Beard, who posed for Playboy in 2007, confirmed she is planning on competing at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.