- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Coetzee’s conqueror dies
- Updated: April 28, 2009
Former world heavyweight champion, Greg Page, who took the WBA title from South Africa’s Gerrie Coetzee at Sun City 24 years ago, has died in Louisville, Kentucky.
Page, 50, with a record of 58 wins, 16 losses and a draw, had been in a wheelchair since a fight against Dale Crowe in 2001 left him brain-damaged.
His wife, Patricia, found the former champion dead in his bed on Monday. She said he had died of complications related to injuries he suffered in the fight against Crowe.
Page also won 48 fights inside the distance.