- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
De Voest vanquished
- Updated: April 20, 2009
Top-seeded Fabrice Santoro beat South Africa’s Rik de Voest in the final of the inaugural Soweto Open on Sunday.
The 36-year-old Frenchman beat South Africa’s No 1 Davis Cup player 7-5 6-4 to take the R140,000 first prize.
The game was played in energy-sapping 35 degree conditions and De Voest can take a lot ouf of the game against a player ranked 128 places above him.
The doubles final went to Chris Guccione of Australia and George Bastl of Switzerland. They beat Russian pair Michail Elgin and Alexandre Kudrayavtsev 6-2 4-6 11-9 (10-point tiebreaker) to share first prize of R60 000.