- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
De Villiers and Roberts honoured
- Updated: March 23, 2009
There were no surprises at the Triathlon South Africa awards presentations as Hendrick de Villiers and Kate Roberts scooped the athlete of the year gongs.
De Villiers was an obvious choice after finishing fourth at the BG Triathlon World Championships in Vancouver in June last year. In addition he won the South African title, the African Championships and finished the year ranked No12 in the World. He was also selected for the Beijing Olympic Games but was asked to withdraw on medical advice.
Overall runner-up in the BSG/Energade Triathlon Series, second at the South African Championships and the African Championships, as well as selection to the Olympics meant that 26 year-old Roberts had sewn up the title as South African Elite Female Triathlete of the year for 2008.
No surprise in the Most Promising Male athlete of the year going to Erhard Wolfaardt. Six consecutive wins in the BSG/Energade Series and a win in the inaugural 11 Global Triathlon in Sun City in November speak volumes for the young Wolfaardt. Mari Rabie had wins at the SA Championships in East London in 2008 and the All Africa Continental Championships as well as finishing 43rd at the Olympic Games and bagged the most promising female triathlete of the year.
Courtesy of her age group win at the World Championships in 2008, there was always only going to be one winner in the┬á Age group athlete of the year female under-40 (both duathlon and triathlon), Carla Germishuys. And with a win in the Africa Championships in Tunisia, Wikus Weber sealed the title Junior Triathlete of the year male, while the female title went to Vicky Van Der Merwe.┬á
Richard Murray won the World Junior Duathlon Title in Rimini in September 2008 by six seconds, but his second World Duathlon title shows just what a talented athlete he is and richly deserves the award as Junior Duathlete of the year.┬á
The Dave McCarney Memorial award was presented to Liesbeth Stoltz for her many years of commitment and dedication to triathlon in South Africa.