- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Cummings’ perfect timing
- Updated: March 7, 2009
After taking the first two races in the revamped Cape Argus PPA Giro del Capo, Barloworld completed the hat-trick through a third cyclist, this time Stephen Cummings. That followed wins by Robbie Hunter and Chris Froome in the first two races.┬áFriday’s racing, again in sweltering conditions approaching 40deg C, took the field on a 171km route through the Boland, and Cummings, ably helped by his formidable Barloworld teammates, timed his challenge to perfection and hit the line in 4hr 34min 17sec. Johann Rabie (Neotel) finished in second place three seconds behind followed by Dennis van Niekerk (Konica Minolta), some six seconds in arrears.
Barloworld are strong favourites for Sunday’s fourth and final race, the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour. ┬áÔÇ£Luckily the wind and rampant fires elsewhere in the Boland did not affect today’s race. It’s just the heat. It really is very, very hot out there,ÔÇØ commented David Bellairs, Co-Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.