- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
Cummings’ perfect timing
- Updated: March 7, 2009
After taking the first two races in the revamped Cape Argus PPA Giro del Capo, Barloworld completed the hat-trick through a third cyclist, this time Stephen Cummings. That followed wins by Robbie Hunter and Chris Froome in the first two races.┬áFriday’s racing, again in sweltering conditions approaching 40deg C, took the field on a 171km route through the Boland, and Cummings, ably helped by his formidable Barloworld teammates, timed his challenge to perfection and hit the line in 4hr 34min 17sec. Johann Rabie (Neotel) finished in second place three seconds behind followed by Dennis van Niekerk (Konica Minolta), some six seconds in arrears.
Barloworld are strong favourites for Sunday’s fourth and final race, the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour. ┬áÔÇ£Luckily the wind and rampant fires elsewhere in the Boland did not affect today’s race. It’s just the heat. It really is very, very hot out there,ÔÇØ commented David Bellairs, Co-Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.