- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Cummings’ perfect timing
- Updated: March 7, 2009
After taking the first two races in the revamped Cape Argus PPA Giro del Capo, Barloworld completed the hat-trick through a third cyclist, this time Stephen Cummings. That followed wins by Robbie Hunter and Chris Froome in the first two races.┬áFriday’s racing, again in sweltering conditions approaching 40deg C, took the field on a 171km route through the Boland, and Cummings, ably helped by his formidable Barloworld teammates, timed his challenge to perfection and hit the line in 4hr 34min 17sec. Johann Rabie (Neotel) finished in second place three seconds behind followed by Dennis van Niekerk (Konica Minolta), some six seconds in arrears.
Barloworld are strong favourites for Sunday’s fourth and final race, the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour. ┬áÔÇ£Luckily the wind and rampant fires elsewhere in the Boland did not affect today’s race. It’s just the heat. It really is very, very hot out there,ÔÇØ commented David Bellairs, Co-Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.