- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Hunter takes first Giro race
- Updated: March 4, 2009
Tour de France stage winner Robbie Hunter, of Barloworld, underlined his world-class credentials with victory in the first race of the revamped Cape Argus PPA Giro del Capo in Wellington.
In a predictable sprint finish to the 106km circular route, Hunter, whose stage victory in Le Tour came in the familiar red and white Barloworld colours in 2007, saw off Christoff van Heerden (MTN) and Johann Rabie (Neotel). All three were credited with a time of 2hr 41min 18sec. Another Team Barloworld rider, Felix Cardenas, crossed the line in fourth. All the bunch finishers timed the same as the winner.
ÔÇ£Only three cyclists, from a field of 180 riders, did not start the race this morning, which means we had a nice full field today,ÔÇØ said race director Steyn Momberg.
Thursday will see cyclists set off on a 143km race from Vissershok Road, Durbanville, in the northern suburbs of Cape Town.