- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Hunter takes first Giro race
- Updated: March 4, 2009
Tour de France stage winner Robbie Hunter, of Barloworld, underlined his world-class credentials with victory in the first race of the revamped Cape Argus PPA Giro del Capo in Wellington.
In a predictable sprint finish to the 106km circular route, Hunter, whose stage victory in Le Tour came in the familiar red and white Barloworld colours in 2007, saw off Christoff van Heerden (MTN) and Johann Rabie (Neotel). All three were credited with a time of 2hr 41min 18sec. Another Team Barloworld rider, Felix Cardenas, crossed the line in fourth. All the bunch finishers timed the same as the winner.
ÔÇ£Only three cyclists, from a field of 180 riders, did not start the race this morning, which means we had a nice full field today,ÔÇØ said race director Steyn Momberg.
Thursday will see cyclists set off on a 143km race from Vissershok Road, Durbanville, in the northern suburbs of Cape Town.