- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Hunter takes first Giro race
- Updated: March 4, 2009
Tour de France stage winner Robbie Hunter, of Barloworld, underlined his world-class credentials with victory in the first race of the revamped Cape Argus PPA Giro del Capo in Wellington.
In a predictable sprint finish to the 106km circular route, Hunter, whose stage victory in Le Tour came in the familiar red and white Barloworld colours in 2007, saw off Christoff van Heerden (MTN) and Johann Rabie (Neotel). All three were credited with a time of 2hr 41min 18sec. Another Team Barloworld rider, Felix Cardenas, crossed the line in fourth. All the bunch finishers timed the same as the winner.
ÔÇ£Only three cyclists, from a field of 180 riders, did not start the race this morning, which means we had a nice full field today,ÔÇØ said race director Steyn Momberg.
Thursday will see cyclists set off on a 143km race from Vissershok Road, Durbanville, in the northern suburbs of Cape Town.