- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
SACS crew show their potential
- Updated: February 26, 2009
The established Cape Town school of SACS have some rowing talent that could well spring to the fore in London in 2012. Their First Eight rowing team have established themselves as probably the best crew in the country.
Following a sizzling start to their season, the young team was deemed good enough to undertake last weekend’s tour to East London and after opening their campaign with victory in the Selborne Sprint Regatta they shocked locals further when they produced a superb effort to oust the favoured crews St Andrews and Selborne in the junior eights at the 122nd ERA Buffalo Regatta.
Both regattas took place on the Buffalo River and the SACS crew were described as ÔÇ£absolute poetry in motionÔÇØ by the Daily Dispatch newspaper, coming from behind to reel in the St Andrews outfit and beat them by two seconds.
The annual events gives the opportunity for local clubs to compete on a national stage in preparation for the SA School Championships in Pretoria next month.