- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Mokoena headlines Yellow Pages meet
- Updated: February 26, 2009
Long jumper Godfrey Mokoena, South Africa’s silver medallist at the Beijing Olympics, will make his second appearance in this year’s Yellow Pages Series at the meeting in Stellenbosch on Friday.
In his first outing in the Series at Potchefstroom, Mokoena achieved the IAAF A qualification standard for the World Championships in Berlin in August when he jumped 8.15m.
Following that performance, he represented a star-studded Commonwealth team at an indoor meeting in Glasgow and since his return has been preparing for the last two Yellow Pages meetings.
At his last appearance in Stellenbosch, at the 2008 SA Senior Championships, Mokoena was beaten by Keenan Watson in the long jump, but Watson is not competing on Friday, leaving the path open for the Olympian.
Another feature of the meeting will be in the relays when South Africa’s men’s 4x100m and 4x400m and women’s 4x400m teams will take on teams from Mauritius and Kenya in an effort to set qualifying times for the World Championships.
Several of the country’s top athletes will be in action. Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and Juan van Deventer will renew their middle-distance rivalry while Janus Robberts and Ross Jordaan (shot put), Robert Oosthuizen and Hardus Pienaar (javelin), Elizna Naude and Hannes Hopley (discus), Thabo Mathibedi, Thuso Mpuang, Kagiso Kumbane, Janice Josephs and Isabel le Roux (all in the sprints) and Ruben Ramolefi (3000m steeplechase) will all be hoping for good performances.