- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
Final chance for cross-country stars to shine
- Updated: February 26, 2009
Athletics South Africa named a potent line-up to compete in the Southern Region Cross Country Championships in Mauritius on March 1. There is added incentive to do well, for the regional championships double as a full-blown final trial for the World Cross-Country Championships, to be held in Amman, Jordan, on March 28.
The Southern Region Championships serve as the final trial for the selection of the team to Jordan. South Africa’s onslaught in the senior men’s competition will be led by the experienced quartet of Stephen Mokoka, Tshamano Setone, Boy Soke and Jeffrey Gwebu and given their performances in this season they will be hard to beat. The Phalula twins, Lebo and Lebogang, together with Tebogo Masehla, Myrette Filmalter and Annerien van Schalkwyk will seek the honours in the senior women’s race.