- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
Final chance for cross-country stars to shine
- Updated: February 26, 2009
Athletics South Africa named a potent line-up to compete in the Southern Region Cross Country Championships in Mauritius on March 1. There is added incentive to do well, for the regional championships double as a full-blown final trial for the World Cross-Country Championships, to be held in Amman, Jordan, on March 28.
The Southern Region Championships serve as the final trial for the selection of the team to Jordan. South Africa’s onslaught in the senior men’s competition will be led by the experienced quartet of Stephen Mokoka, Tshamano Setone, Boy Soke and Jeffrey Gwebu and given their performances in this season they will be hard to beat. The Phalula twins, Lebo and Lebogang, together with Tebogo Masehla, Myrette Filmalter and Annerien van Schalkwyk will seek the honours in the senior women’s race.