- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Final chance for cross-country stars to shine
- Updated: February 26, 2009
Athletics South Africa named a potent line-up to compete in the Southern Region Cross Country Championships in Mauritius on March 1. There is added incentive to do well, for the regional championships double as a full-blown final trial for the World Cross-Country Championships, to be held in Amman, Jordan, on March 28.
The Southern Region Championships serve as the final trial for the selection of the team to Jordan. South Africa’s onslaught in the senior men’s competition will be led by the experienced quartet of Stephen Mokoka, Tshamano Setone, Boy Soke and Jeffrey Gwebu and given their performances in this season they will be hard to beat. The Phalula twins, Lebo and Lebogang, together with Tebogo Masehla, Myrette Filmalter and Annerien van Schalkwyk will seek the honours in the senior women’s race.