- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Final chance for cross-country stars to shine
- Updated: February 26, 2009
Athletics South Africa named a potent line-up to compete in the Southern Region Cross Country Championships in Mauritius on March 1. There is added incentive to do well, for the regional championships double as a full-blown final trial for the World Cross-Country Championships, to be held in Amman, Jordan, on March 28.
The Southern Region Championships serve as the final trial for the selection of the team to Jordan. South Africa’s onslaught in the senior men’s competition will be led by the experienced quartet of Stephen Mokoka, Tshamano Setone, Boy Soke and Jeffrey Gwebu and given their performances in this season they will be hard to beat. The Phalula twins, Lebo and Lebogang, together with Tebogo Masehla, Myrette Filmalter and Annerien van Schalkwyk will seek the honours in the senior women’s race.