- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Big Joburg marathon incentive
- Updated: February 25, 2009
Almost R500,000 in prize money will be at stake when the Nedbank Johannesburg Marathon takes place on March 22, making it again one of the most lucrative standard marathons in the country.
The South Africans runners are still coming to terms with the fact that the national championships in Durban were won by a foreigner, Lesotho’s Mabuthile Lebopo, and hoping that lightning doesn’t strike twice with R60,000 for the winner. The runner-up will earn R30,000 and third-placed finisher R20,000. Prize money goes down to 10th place in both the men and women races. In addition to the 42.2km event a 10km race and a 5km fun run will also take place. The male and woman winner in the 10km race will take home R5,000. reigning Johannesburg Marathon champion is Thabo Ntlaloe (Mr Price) who finished with a time of 2hr 20min 9sec. Samukeliso Moyo (also of Mr Price) won the 2008 women’s race in 2:46:35. Athletes may log on to www.enteronline.co.za to enter or call Athletic South Africa on 011 880 5800 for more information.